Anglican Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Geraldton is an excellent example of the Post-War Ecclesiastical style of architecture featuring an unorthodox plan form, impressive monumentality, simple and functional finishings and decorative stained glass windows.
The Holy Cross Cathedral is a landmark as a substantial building with minimal surrounding landscaping, which is
located on a major thoroughfare close to the city centre of Geraldton.
The Holy Cross Cathedral contributes to a cultural environment of major municipal buildings along Cathedral Avenue which includes the Roman Catholic St Francis Xavier Cathedral and civic centre of Geraldton.
The Holy Cross Cathedral reflects the growth and development of the North West Diocese of the Anglican Church and of Geraldton, the largest town in the Diocese.
The Holy Cross Cathedral features four stones from English cathedrals installed within the structure, namely, a stone from Lincoln Cathedral (1092), a piece of marble from the reredos of St Paul’s Cathedral, a stone from the 11th century Canterbury Cathedral and a carved stone from the 13th century Westminster Abbey.
The windows of Cathedral were created by well-known West Australian stained-glass manufacturers, Gowers and Brown, who have been responsible for the decorative windows in many ecclesiastical buildings in Western Australia.
Anglican Cathedral is associated with Bishop John Frewer, who served as Bishop of the North West, the largest Anglican Diocese in Australia, from 1929 to 1965 and encouraged the construction of twenty-six churches in the region as well as the Cathedral.
The use of concrete for the walls and asbestos clad steel-framed roof for Anglican Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Geraldton were a successful attempt to reduce maintenance caused by the harsh coastal conditions of the site.
The use of sandblasting to expose coloured quartz in the concrete walls of the Anglican Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Geraldton, which produced an attractive and usual finish, was an innovation at that time.
* For consistency, all references to architectural style are taken from Richard Apperly; Robert Irving, and Peter Reynolds – A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture:
Styles and Terms from 1788 to the Present, Angus & Robertson 1989.